Monday, June 25, 2012

Izzy - Chinese Marketplace thumbs

These are some color comps I did of a Chinese market place. Looking for crits!

3 comments:

  1. These are cool! The two in the middle seem the strongest/most interesting. The second one looks almost like it's underwater, which gives the city that weird smoggy feel, and the pop of red banner on the third on is working really nice. The last one I think could benefit from pops of light and color variation above the market. You can probably push the market lights to be much brighter to keep the contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Izzy,

    Very Cool! I think the way you’re approaching these is working pretty well. Are you trying to contrast the people with the claustrophobic streets? I think the thumb that is third from the left is strongest in terms of value,composition, and atmosphere. I would take that square thumbnail and either widen it to a full landscape composition, or turn it into a vertical piece. I think that a vertical piece, in particular, could work really well with what you’ve done here already. I did some paint overs of the thumb to show you what I mean, and put them in dropbox under “lets get badass>reference>izzy_petercrit”. Hope that helps. Nice stuff man, keep going!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot guys. Your paint overs are really helpful Peter, I think the square one could definitely benefit from being more of a rectangular shape. I'll try both views that you provided. And Jen, I will also take a look at the paintings that aren't working as well and try to make them more interesting. The last one could use more color variation and contrast for sure.

    ReplyDelete